Design

Bookmark and Share
This is not a d20 game. I did not set out to specifically avoid d20, but the more I played and designed, the more I decided to go back to basics. Hemingway is the king of literature in my opinion. In discussing writing, Hemingway recommended parring back, and writing one true sentence. I keep that in mind as I design. Strip it back to get to get to the core or soul of the game I want to make.

So the d20, D12, D10, D8 and d4 all went right off the table. Followed along by the d24, d30, and a standard deck of cards I experimented with. So that leaves the humble classic d6, the model T of gaming.

Part of the charm of using the d6 is that it is common, accessible, and comfortable. Anyone having played Risk or Monopoly will instantly have a familiarity with the game engine. I remember vividly opening my Moldvay boxed set, and being struck by the amount of dice. Beyond the number of dice, it was all the different shapes and sizes! Holy crap how will I figure this out? Six different dice?! Clearly 29 years later it was a non issue, yet that moment of shock still lingers.

So d6 it is, the die of the common man rises again.

...@...

{ 0 komentar... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment